A resolution to grant planning permission for a major regeneration scheme was voted by members of Redbridge Planning Committee on Thursday 27th May 2021. The redevelopment of Tesco in Goodmayes will provide 1,280 new homes, a new primary school, a new replacement Tesco and community facilities.
Benefits to be delivered:
• Boost the supply of housing with 1,280 new homes, providing high quality market and affordable residential units in the heart of Goodmayes on site allocated for development in the Council’s Local Plan.
• 415 affordable homes, with a mix of tenure and size, will help meet local housing needs.
• A range of private and communal amenity spaces will be accessible for all future residents.
• A replacement, sustainably designed large food retail store, will continue to serve the local community and retain local employment.
• A 3-form entry primary school for 630 pupils to meet the Borough’s anticipated needs.
• Improved integration with the surrounding area with a fully accessible car-free public realm, designed for pedestrians and cyclists.
• Safeguarded land to facilitate a direct link to Goodmayes Station on the southern boundary of the site.
• High Road will be widened to improve sustainable transport routes with enhanced a walking environment including a pedestrian crossing to Barley Lane Recreation Ground, and to provide a dedicated bus lane.
• Access to community facilities for existing and new residents of Goodmayes to be provided, including a new community hall, out of hours access to the school, and enhancements to Barley Lane Recreation Ground.
• Boost the biodiversity and urban greening of the hard-surfaced existing site.
• New flexible commercial units for the existing and future members of the community to provide employment opportunities.
• Create further jobs during the construction phase, in the supply chain and through indirect employment.